As Complied By St. Alphonsus Liguori
(The Glories Of Mary)
The Loss of the Child Jesus in the Temple.
1. Origen says, that through the love which this holy mother bore her Son, she suffered more at this loss of Jesus than any martyr ever suffered at death.
2. Let us imagine what distress that afflicted mother must have experienced in those three days in which she was searching for her Son.
3. Ah, how long were these three days for Mary! They appeared three ages!
4. This sorrow of Mary ought, in the first place, to serve as a comfort to those souls who are desolate and who do not enjoy the sweet presence they once enjoyed in the Lord.
5. But those who would find Jesus must seek him, not amid delights and pleasures of the world, but amid crosses and mortifications.
6. The afflicted mother had no rest, but wept and prayed without ceasing to God that he would enable her to find her son.
7. He often hides himself that she may seek him with greater desire and joy.