Eucharistic Miracle of Gruaro Valvasone.
In 1294 a young housekeeper from the church rectory was heading toward the washhouse of the Versiola to wash the altar-cloth of the Church of Saint Giusto of Gruaro. Unexpectedly, the woman noticed that a consecrated Host had been left by mistake between the three folds of the altar-cloth, from which blood was flowing out.
Frightened by this inexplicable event, she ran quickly to inform the Pastor, who in turn informed the Bishop of Concordia, Giacomo d’Ottonello of Cividale. Once he corroborated the facts, the Bishop requested that the altar cloth of the Miracle be placed in his Cathedral at Concordia.
But the pastor of Gruaro as well as the family of the Counts of Valvasone, patrons of the church in Gruaro and of the one in Valvasone, wanted to keep the altar-cloth. No agreement was reached and so it was decided to have recourse to the Holy See, which in the end gave authority to the Counts to preserve the Relic of the Miracle in Valvasone, on condition that they have a church built there in honor of the Body of Christ, to be completed by the year 1483.
The most authoritative and the earliest document describing the Miracle is a copy made from the original account by Pope Nicholas V. Each year on Thursday of the 5th Week of Lent, the citizens of Valvasone commemorate the Miracle. On the Feast of Corpus Christi, the Relic of the stained altar-cloth is carried in procession together with the Blessed Sacrament.